Moving for health, support, or mobility needs

Do you need to move because of health, support or mobility needs?

Moving house can bring positive benefits, such as fewer home maintenance concerns, surroundings that make daily activities easier, and bringing friends, family and other support closer to hand. However, moving can bring its own challenges. There's help available for you to make the right choices and get the right support.

Finding accessible housing

Instead of making modifications to your existing home you may want to consider moving to (or building) a new home, specifically designed with accessibility in mind.

If you’re looking for a more accessible place to live because you've become less mobile, there are organisations specialising in accessible properties.


Lifemark, an independent not-for profit organisation established by CCS Disability Action, works with accredited designers and builders to ensure new homes are designed to be usable, adaptable and safe for a range of people.

Accessible Properties New Zealand

Accessible Properties is a not-for-profit organisation that has some houses to rent for people with disabilities. On their website you can see what houses they have available and how to apply for them.

Residential Support Services

The Ministry of Health fund Community Residential Support Services to assist people with disabilities to live in a home-like setting in the community, while receiving support for up to 24 hours a day.

Older people moving home

Some older people might need new living arrangements when living in their current home is no longer an option. You might choose to move for many reasons as you get older. Maybe you want to be:

  • in a smaller house or property
  • closer to family and friends
  • closer to shops, medical services and public transport
  • in a flatter part of town.

Moving away from a family home or familiar neighborhood can be difficult when it means moving away from a history of experiences and long-established networks and support systems. If you need financial help to move, Senior Services can tell you what’s available.

Moving into residential care

Rest homes provide residential care for people who need assistance with their daily lives. Government helps to fund the cost of care through the Residential Care Subsidy and the Residential Support Subsidy. It's means tested and depends on the level of your assets and income.

If your assets are equal to or below the asset threshold, you'll qualify for the subsidy to pay for most of the cost of your care. The income test then determines what you'll have to contribute to the cost of your care from any income you receive. Contact Senior Services on 0800 999 727 to talk about your circumstances.

People with drug, alcohol or substance dependency

If you're dealing with an addiction, you may need housing while you get your life back on track. Some community groups provide emergency and long-term housing, as well as support to help you take control of things again.