Getting away from family violence
Do you need to leave home because of family violence?
If you’re a woman facing family violence, call the Women’s Refuge free Crisisline on 0800 733 843 (0800 REFUGE).
If you’re a man facing family violence, call the Shine confidential family abuse helpline on 0508 744 633.
It’s important to keep yourself safe. If you or a family member is in danger now, Women's Refuge suggest you:
- phone the police on 111 or ask neighbours or friends to ring for you
- run outside and head for other people
- take the children with you
- scream for help so that your neighbours can hear you
- don't stop to get anything else.
If you know someone affected by family violence or you need help yourself there is information about where you can find support on the Family Violence It's Not OK website.