Financial help

There are several types of financial help available through Work and Income, Senior Services and StudyLink for people on low incomes, whether you’re a beneficiary or not.

Accommodation Supplement

If you’re behind with your rent or your rent has increased and you’re on a low income, you may be able to get help.

The Accommodation Supplement is a payment which helps people with their rent, board or the cost of owning a home.

Help with one-off costs

If you’re getting a benefit or pension and have an immediate, essential need, you may be able to get an advance payment of your benefit or pension. Generally, the supplier will be paid for the goods or services you need . You’ll need to pay the money back, but you can do this in instalments.

If you’re not receiving a benefit or pension you may still be able to get a payment to help with some household costs. This assistance is subject to an income and asset test. You’ll need to pay the money back.

People in social housing or with housing needs may also be able to get some assistance towards specific costs associated with housing.