Getting care and home help

Would help with everyday tasks and health services help you stay in your own house?

Depending on your current situation, you may require support either in the form of financial assistance or in-home care. This section will help you find the services to best support your continued personal safety in your home.

Home Help

This payment provides financial assistance for temporary part-time help with domestic tasks, such as housework, in certain circumstances. For example, if you’ve had a multiple birth or a domestic emergency.

Home care for people under 65

If you need support in your home, there are health and disability services available in New Zealand that can help you.

Home and Community Support Services are services funded by the Ministry of Health to help you live at home. They can help with both household management and personal care.

Household management may include help with:

  • meal preparation
  • washing, drying or folding clothes
  • house-cleaning, vacuuming and tidying up.

Personal care may include help with:

  • eating or drinking
  • getting dressed or undressed
  • getting up in the morning or getting ready for bed
  • showering or going to the toilet
  • getting around your home.

You can get Home and Community Support Services if you:

  • are under 65 years old
  • meet Disability Support Services’ eligibility requirements
  • have had a needs assessment saying you need home-based support services.

Home care for people over 65

If you’re getting older, you may be finding it harder to cope on your own. There are support services that help you to stay in your home for as long as you can.

They may include:

  • personal care (eg, getting out of bed, showering, dressing, medication management)
  • household support (eg, cleaning, meal preparation)
  • Carer support (help for the person who lives with you and/or looks after you for four hours or more each day)
  • equipment to help with your safety at home.

You must meet certain eligibility criteria to receive publicly funded home support services. The Ministry of Health will assess whether you are eligible for home support and make sure the service can meet your needs.

Financial support

If you're not able to work because you have a health condition, injury or disability or you're caring for someone with a health condition or a disability, Work and Income or Senior Services may be able to help you with living costs.