Leaving your current home

 There are many things to think about when you move house. Here are some useful tips:

  • Tell your utility companies, for example, power, gas, telephone.
  • Arrange final meter readings.
  • Get your mail redirected.
  • Tell your bank.
  • Sort out your house or contents insurance.
  • Get free change of address cards from a PostShop. Send to friends, companies you have subscriptions with, Sky, etc.
  • Call government departments you deal with. For example, Inland Revenue or Work and Income.
  • Tell your children’s school or childcare. 
  • Leave time to clean both the property you’re leaving and the one you’re going to.

If you have fines, you need to let the Ministry of Justice know your new address.

If you find it difficult to regularly pay your rent and you’re getting a benefit or pension you can talk to Work and Income, Senior Services or StudyLink about what options they may have for you.

There is a payment to help people with their rent, board or the cost of owning a home. You don’t have to be on a benefit or pension to get this. It also doesn’t have to be paid back.