Your housing options
There's a lot to think about when you're looking for somewhere for you and your family to live.
Whether you need a place to stay tonight, or a place to live long term, you need suitable housing in the right location for you and your household. Think about:
- where your work is, or where you can find work
- how many people are living with you and their ages
- needs such as space for children, pets or wheelchair access
- what you need nearby, such as schools, medical care or public transport
- what you can afford in rent
- whether you need to rent a house or an apartment, or would boarding be better?
Once you know what you need, you can look at the different housing options available.Take a look at what to do next and who can help you.
Do you urgently need a place to stay right now?
Sometimes staying where you are is the best option.
You may be able to apply for help if you're looking to move out of Auckland.
If you need a place to live for a short while, there’s a wide range of options.
Sharing a flat or house with someone else can be a good way to cut down on rent and other costs.
Renting a flat or house gives you a wide range of choices. There’s a lot of information and support available to help you find the right place to live.
Information about social housing.
Information about available assistance to buy, including rent to buy information.