Emergency housing

If you have nowhere to stay tonight or in the next 7 days, we may be able to help.

Step 1 - Contact us to apply

To apply for emergency housing, you can either:

  • call:
    • Work and Income on 0800 559 009, or
    • Senior Services on 0800 552 002 if you get NZ Super or Veteran's Pension, or
  • come in and see us.

We'll book you an appointment to come in and talk with one of our case managers.

Step 2 - We'll look at your housing options

At your appointment, we’ll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help.

We’ll look at what options you might have, such as:

  • staying with family or friends
  • help if you’re behind in your rent
  • help if you need rent and bond for a new property
  • help with moving and travel costs to shift to another suitable place
  • negotiating with landlords
  • accommodation options you can afford.

If none of these options can work for you, we’ll look at transitional housing and then emergency accommodation.

Step 3 - We'll try to place you in transitional housing

First, we’ll try to place you with one of our contracted transitional housing providers in your area.

These providers offer short term accommodation while you look for a longer term place to live. They also offer a range of support services to help you.

How much it costs

While you’re there, you’ll pay rent of no more than 25% of your income. If you get a benefit, we’ll pay this amount directly to the transitional housing provider.

Step 4 - We'll look at emergency accommodation

If our transitional housing providers have no accommodation available, and you have no other options, you may be able to stay in places such as a hostel or motel for a few days. 

We’ll talk to you about your options and help you, where we can, to find somewhere to stay.

Once you’ve found a place, let us know so we can talk with you about next steps.

How much it costs

We’ll cover the cost of your accommodation for up to 7 days at a time in most cases. If you need to stay longer, let us know and we'll continue to cover the cost if we can.

You won’t need to pay this money back unless you’re unreasonably contributing to your own need for emergency accommodation. 

How to pay the provider

We’ll give you a payment card (if you don’t already have one) and load the money onto it. You'll pay the accommodation provider with your payment card (much like an Eftpos card). 

Step 5 - Keep looking for longer-term housing

You need to keep looking for longer-term housing.

We can help you look at your housing options and other support you might be able to get.

You may be able to apply for public housing.

Domestic violence

If you’re a woman in a domestic violence situation, call the Women’s Refuge free Crisis line on 0800 733 843.

There are many ways they can help, including a safe house if you need accommodation urgently. Their safe houses are in secret locations and you can come to them in a crisis, day or night.